740 Libyan govt fighters killed in fight against IS in Sirte: Spokesman

Source:Xinhua Published: 2016/12/19 8:35:40

As many as 740 Libyan government fighters were killed and more than 4,000 others wounded in the fight against the Islamic State (IS) group in Sirte, a spokesman for the pro-government forces said on Sunday.

The wounded fighters are receiving medical care in Libya and abroad, Omar Bashir, who is also the health minister, told a press conference in the Libyan capital city of Tripoli.

He added that the government will grant monthly salaries to the amputees and paralyzed fighters.

On Saturday, Libyan Prime minister Fayez Serraj announced that the city of Sirte had been freed from IS after seven months of fighting.

However, Serraj warned that fight against terrorism in Libya "is not over yet."

The government of national accord, which was appointed on Dec. 17, 2015, launched a military operation in May against the IS militants in Sirte.

Sirte, located nearly 450 km east of Tripoli, had been controlled by the IS for almost one year. The terrorist group claimed responsibility for suicide bombings and killing of foreigners in Libya.

Posted in: MID-EAST

blog comments powered by Disqus