S. Korean main opposition party vows to annul comfort women agreement with Japan

Source:Xinhua Published: 2016/12/28 11:26:42

South Korea's main opposition Minjoo Party vowed Wednesday to annul an agreement with Japan on the victims of so-called "comfort women" if the party succeeds in regaining a presidential power in the expected early election.

Minjoo Party floor leader Woo Sang-ho said at a party meeting that Wednesday marks the first anniversary of the "humiliating" South Korea-Japan agreement on comfort women, pledging to annul it if the presidential power is transferred to his party.

The word "comfort women" is a euphemism for Korean women who were lured or forced into sexual slavery for Japanese military brothels during World War Two. The Korean Peninsula was colonized by the Imperial Japan from 1910 to 1945.

On Dec. 28 last year, the Park Geun-hye administration reached a "final and irreversible" agreement with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe-led cabinet on the comfort women victims.

A handful of aged, surviving South Korean victims have opposed the agreement, saying Abe has yet to sincerely apologize for past atrocities and admit legal responsibility of the Japanese government for forcible recruitment of the teenage victims during the colonization.

The Minjoo Party floor leader said the Park administration's unilateral push for the agreement in defiance of the aged victims will be recorded as a humiliation in South Korea's diplomatic history.

Posted in: ASIA-PACIFIC

blog comments powered by Disqus