Dortmund attack suspect wanted stock profits: prosecutor

Source:Reuters Published: 2017/4/22 0:28:39

German police arrested a man on Friday suspected of detonating three bombs that targeted the Borussia Dortmund soccer team's bus in the hope of sending the club's shares plummeting and making a profit on an investment, prosecutors said.

In a statement, the federal chief prosecutor said the 28-year-old man, a dual German and Russian national identified as Sergei V., had bought options on Borussia Dortmund's stock before the attack.

The team bus was heading to the club's stadium for a Champions League match against AS Monaco on April 11 when the explosions went off, wounding Spanish defender Marc Bartra and delaying the match by a day.

Prosecutors last week expressed doubts about the authenticity of three letters left at the site of the attack that suggested that Islamist militants had carried it out.

The prosecutor's office said the suspect had bought 15,000 put options, or contracts giving him the right to sell Borussia Dortmund's shares at a pre-determined price, on the day of the attack, using a consumer loan he had signed a week earlier.

"If the shares of Borussia ­Dortmund had fallen massively, the profit would have been several times the initial investment," the prosecutor's office said.

The serious injury or death of any of the soccer players could have resulted in such a slump, it said.

Police detained the suspect in the city of Tuebingen in the south-­western state of Baden Wuerttemberg.

He faces charges of attempted murder, inflicting serious bodily harm and causing an explosion, the prosecutor's office said.

Security is a hot issue in the campaign for Germany's federal elections on September 24, in which Chancellor Angela Merkel is seeking a fourth term.

Posted in: EUROPE

blog comments powered by Disqus