Death toll of Egyptian pilgrims in Mecca rises to 57

Source:Xinhua Published: 2017/9/6 7:51:48

Three more Egyptian pilgrims died during Hajj in Saudi Arabia's Mecca on Tuesday, raising the total death toll among Egyptian pilgrims to 57, said the Egyptian Health Ministry.

Head of Egypt's medical Hajj mission Ahmed al-Ansary has been coordinating with the concerned Saudi authorities to issue death certificates for the Egyptian dead pilgrims.

The ages of the dead pilgrims varied from 60 to 85, he noted in a statement.

Saudi Arabia started Wednesday the Hajj pilgrimage in 2017, with the participation of more than 2 million pilgrims, including 1.8 million foreigners, according to the Saudi authorities.

Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam and one of the most important rituals for Muslims worldwide, as every Muslim must perform it at least once in a lifetime if affordable.

Saudi Arabia announced tight security during the Hajj season, as it banned over 400,000 illegal pilgrims from entering Mecca, the holiest city for Muslims, for not having Hajj permits.

The government said it has taken serious steps, including fine and jail terms against violators, to ensure smooth Hajj rituals for pilgrims.

Saudi Arabia announced on Friday the success of the Hajj plans so far with the participation of more than 2.3 million pilgrims, especially that it was free from contagious diseases, Saudi Press Agency reported.

The Saudi Interior Ministry highlighted the success of most of Hajj rituals while stressing continuation to provide the best services until the departure of all pilgrims with the assistance of more than 300,000 staff and volunteers and 21,000 vehicles.

Posted in: AFRICA,MID-EAST

blog comments powered by Disqus