Obscene, pornographic content removed in online crackdown

Source:Xinhua Published: 2017/9/25 17:41:48

More than 20 million online items containing pornographic or obscene content have been deleted or properly handled in a crackdown by Chinese authorities.

The 40-day campaign, jointly initiated by the National Office Against Pornographic and Illegal Publications and seven other central authorities, started Aug. 15, said a statement issued by the office Monday.

Based on reports from the public, information on various online platforms had been scrutinized, including portal websites, news apps, live streaming platforms, app stores as well as online literature, gaming, video and forum websites, the office said.

More than 30 Internet enterprises were involved, according to the statement.

The office also worked with police authorities in dealing with some serious violations in this regard, it said.

The statement said many major enterprises conducted inspections of content on their own platforms, which resulted in the closure of accounts, blocking of website links, deletion of online posts and comments, and removal of apps found to have spread pornographic or vulgar content.

Posted in: SOCIETY

blog comments powered by Disqus