Duterte welcomes probe into allegations

Source:Reuters Published: 2017/9/27 23:08:40

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he welcomes an investigation by the state's anti-­corruption agency into allegations by a senator that he failed to disclose his wealth when he was a city mayor, his spokesperson said on Wednesday.

The Office of the Ombudsman confirmed on Tuesday it has initiated an inquiry into several of Duterte's bank accounts prior to his being elected president in May 2016, when he was mayor, vice mayor and a congressman in Davao City.

"The president has nothing to hide," spokesperson Ernesto Abella said. "He respects the Office of the Ombudsman and trusts its impartiality in the conduct of its fact-finding duty."

Deputy Ombudsman Arthur Carandang said his office approved a request last month by ­anti-graft investigators to obtain reports from the Anti-­Money Laundering Council.

This was in response to a complaint by Senator Antonio Trillanes that Duterte had amassed 2.2 billion pesos ($43.1 million) in bank accounts in 2006-15, and had committed a criminal offence by failing to report it. Duterte has sparred repeatedly with Trillanes and has said he would resign if there was proof of wrongdoing.



Posted in: ASIA-PACIFIC

blog comments powered by Disqus