Four Russian citizens suspected of plotting phone bomb threats: FSB

Source:Xinhua Published: 2017/10/6 10:42:51

The massive bomb threat phone calls in Russia last month were carried out by four Russian nationals abroad along with their domestic accomplices, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said Thursday.

"We have established that...those are Russian citizens. I can say with absolute certainty that these are four people who are currently abroad," FSB director Alexander Bortnikov told local media following a joint meeting of special services, security bodies and law enforcement agencies.

The four suspects also had "accomplices who are staying in the territory of Russia," Bortnikov added, without further elaborating.

Currently the FSB is working with the aforementioned agencies on tracking down the suspects both at home and abroad, he said.

A wave of anonymous calls about planted bombs in various administrative and commercial buildings swept across Russia since early September, during which nearly 800,000 people were reportedly evacuated in 120 Russian cities, with all calls proved to be hoaxes.

According to the FSB director, damages caused by the "telephone terrorism" so far reached up to over 300 million rubles (5.2 million US dollars).

Posted in: EUROPE

blog comments powered by Disqus