Modeling agency denies overworking dead Russian model

By Liu Caiyu Source:Global Times Published: 2017/10/29 17:48:39

The Chinese modeling agency of a Russian model denied Sunday it overworked her during her two-month stay in China for the Shanghai Fashion Week in response to reports the teenager died of extreme exhaustion.

Vlada Dzyuba, 14, died after the Shanghai Fashion Week, which ended on October 18, and worked 8 hours a day, Zheng Yi, CEO of ESEE Model Management told the Global Times in an exclusive interview on Sunday.

The Siberian Times reported on Friday that Dzyuba died in China after a 13-hour Shanghai fashion show and blamed her death on extreme exhaustion.

"Her preliminary cause of death was meningitis compounded by severe exhaustion… officially, she was required to work three hours a week in China, a law which mirrors that in Russia," the Siberian Times reported.

Zheng said the report was wrong and that Dzyuba's contract was legal.

"Dzyuba had received 16 different jobs during her two months' stay in China. She had regular breaks while working. Most of her work was completed within eight hours. Her workload was moderate compared with other models."

ESEE Model Management had signed a three-month contract with Dzyuba's home company, Smirnoff Models based in St. Petersburg, Russia. The number of working hours is not stated in the contract, Zheng said.

China's Labor Law provides for an eight-hour work day, and 44 hours a week.  The law states that cultural, sports and special arts employees are entitled to recruit teenagers under the age 16, but they have to fulfill national permission procedures and ensure their rights to education.

A medical report provided by the organizers of the Shanghai Fashion Week to the Global Times shows that "the young model was suffering from septicopyemia, or a type of blood poisoning, at the ICU, with multiple visceral organs damaged, liver dysfunction and renal insufficiency."

She died of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, the medical record reads.

Dzyuba died on Friday at 7: 36 in the morning. ESEE Model Management paid for her medical bills, according to a statement Zheng provided.

A media representative from the Shanghai Fashion Week told the Global Times Sunday "Shanghai Fashion Week is also investigating when, why and where the 14-year-old Dzyuba died. She could have collapsed after the show."

The fashion show has nothing to do with Dzyuba's death as the show ended on October 18, Zheng said.

Dzyuba arrived in Yiwu Monday night and checked in at a local hotel. The next day, she was normal, ate breakfast and worked until she felt sick late at night. Her agent canceled her stay on Wednesday, the statement reads.

It said, Dzyuba returned to Shanghai at noon and rested at her hotel but she continued feeling uncomfortable. At around 6 pm, she was sent to the Shanghai Rui Jin Hospital's emergency room, and the Russian embassy was also informed.

On Thursday, Russian embassy staff and the local police arrived at the hospital and inquired about the case. Dzyuba was then sent to the intensive care unit (ICU) as her condition deteriorated, according to the statement sent by Zheng.

Global Times has not received a response from the Russian embassy as of press time.

Dzyuba was accompanied by ESEE management personnel at the Rui Jin Hospital, Zheng added.


blog comments powered by Disqus