Clashes in Libya's Benghazi kill 17 in Nov.

Source:Xinhua Published: 2017/12/3 7:38:11

Conflicts between the Libyan eastern-based army and militants in the eastern city of Benghazi killed 17 people in November, a military source told Xinhua on Saturday.

"The military operations in November in the city of Benghazi, mainly in Ekhrebish area where the last terrorists are stationed, killed seven of our troops and injured 20 others, while 10 terrorists were killed by the army," Miloud al-Zwai, spokesman for the army's special forces, told Xinhua.

Benghazi, Libya's second largest city and the birthplace of the 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Muammar Gaddafi, has witnessed a three-year war between the army led by General Khalifa Haftar and extremist groups.

Haftar announced earlier in June to take over the entire city of Benghazi and to defeat the rival armed groups, however, some militants still remain in the city and mainly use landmines.

Posted in: AFRICA

blog comments powered by Disqus