Man detained again for insulting Nanjing Massacre victims

Source:Xinhua Published: 2018/3/8 21:00:12

Police in east China's Nanjing city said Thursday it has detained a man for posting a video online that used insulting words at the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders.

Last Saturday, a man surnamed Meng posted a video using vulgar words towards victims of the Nanjing massacre in front of a memorial wall in east China's Jiangsu Province. He also insulted netizens who had reported and criticized him in a similar case earlier. His behavior sparked fury from the public.

According to police in Nanjing, capital of Jiangsu, Meng, 35, is a Shanghai native. He was detained by Shanghai police for five days last month after posting content that insulted the victims of the Nanjing Massacre on WeChat.

Meng surrendered to the Nanjing police Monday and confessed. He also expressed remorse and posted a letter of regret on China's microblogging site Weibo.

The police bureau of Nanjing said in a statement that Meng would be held in detention for eight days for affray.

Japanese troops captured Nanjing, then China's capital, on Dec. 13, 1937, and killed 300,000 Chinese civilians and unarmed soldiers over six weeks.

Posted in: SOCIETY

blog comments powered by Disqus