Malaysian star Lee likely to delay cancer comeback again

Source:AFP Published: 2019/3/14 19:23:41

Lee Chong Wei is likely to miss next month's Malaysia Open and delay his comeback from nose cancer for a second time, an official said Thursday, as the badminton great struggles to make a full recovery.

Norza Zakaria, president of the Badminton Association of Malaysia, warned fans to "­lower their expectations" for the 36-year-old former world No.1.

The three-time Olympic silver medalist has been on the sidelines since July last year, when he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer. 

He underwent a grueling program of specialist treatment in Taiwan but opted not to retire and resumed training in January. 

Lee originally planned to play the All England Open in March but then delayed his return to the Malaysia Open, where he is the defending champion, in early April.

But Norza said Lee looked likely to miss his home ­tournament and was now targeting the Sudirman Cup mixed-team event in China in May.

Lee, who has previously said he needs to get the all-clear from his doctors before returning to competitive play, will travel to Taiwan next week for a checkup, Norza added.

The player still hopes to compete at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics but qualifying looks increasingly tough as other young Malaysian players are ranked above him.



Posted in: MISCELLANY

blog comments powered by Disqus