UNESCO removes Iranian World Heritage site of Bam from danger list
Xinhua | 2013-6-18 8:36:00
By Agencies
 E-mail   Print
The UNESCO World Heritage Committee decided that given improvements in the management and conservation of the World Heritage site of Bam and its Cultural Landscape in Iran, the property could be removed from the List of World Heritage in Danger, according to a UNESCO press statement on Monday.

Bam was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2004, shortly after it was struck by a major earthquake, the statement said, adding that damage caused by the quake warranted the site's simultaneous inscription on the List of Heritage in Danger.

"The Committee has now noted that remains of the desert citadel, which reached its apogee from the 7th to 11th centuries, had been sufficiently stabilized and its management was sound enough for the site to be declared safe," it said.

The World Heritage Committee is holding its 37th session in Phnom Penh. It began on Sunday and will last till June 27.

The World Heritage Committee, comprised of members from 21 countries, would consider the inscription of 31 sites around the globe onto the World Heritage list later this week, Roni Amelan, the UNESCO spokesman, said on Sunday.

 E-mail   Print   


Posted in: Archaeology





Post Comment


By leaving a comment, you agree to abide by all terms and conditions (See the Comment section).


blog comments powered by Disqus


Popular now