Insurgents increase attacks on Pakistani forces in quake-hit areas

Source:Xinhua Published: 2013-10-3 10:02:46

Insurgents have increased attacks on Pakistani forces engaged in relief operations in the earthquake- hit southwestern Balochistan province and in a latest bomb blast two soldiers were killed and several others injured, military officials said Wednesday.

The army spokesman, Major General Asim Bajwa, says nearly 2000 soldiers are involved in relief operations after the 7.6 intensity of powerful earthquake hit parts of Balochistan late last month.

He told reporters that the attacks will not deter the relief activities in the worst devastated areas.

Officials say that over 350 people have been killed while hundreds more injured in the earthquake. They say that around three hundred thousands have been affected.

Security officials said that miscreants on Wednesday carried out at least five separate attacks on army troops who were busy in distributing relief goods among the earthquake victims in Awaran district, the worst affected by the earthquake.

Giving details, military officials said that in the first incident in the morning, two army soldiers were killed when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded near a vehicle of the troops Mashkey sector of Awaran district.

The Army troops were moving from Mashkey for distribution of food items, tents and other relief items to earthquake-hit local populace when came under attack on the way.

In the second attack launched just two hours after the first incident, the miscreants fired from a distance at Army's Gishkor post established for earthquake relief efforts in Awaran. No loss of life occurred during the incident.

In the third attack launched in the afternoon, the miscreants fired with small arms on Army troops in Parwar area of Mashkey, when they were involved in distribution of rations and other relief items to the affected people. No loss of life occurred.

In the fourth incident, army troops were fired upon by miscreants in the area later afternoon when they were busy in distributing relief goods to the earthquake-hit people. No loss of life was reported in the incident.

In the fifth attack, unknown miscreants fired with small arms and RPG rocket on Army troops also in Mashkey Sector Awaran. No loss of life occurred in the attack.

Chief Minister of Balochistan, Abdul Malik, appealed to the armed militants to stop attacks as the people are in dire need of relief goods. He said relief operations are impossible without the involvement of paramilitary soldiers.


blog comments powered by Disqus