Shangri-La blaze cause

Source:Global Times Published: 2014-1-14 0:43:01

A preliminary investigation has found that a fire which gutted a town in Shangri-La was started by accident in a guesthouse, authorities in Diqing prefecture, Yunnan Province, announced Monday.

The blaze started when curtains at the Ruyi Inn caught fire due to an electrical fault on Saturday, which then resulted in a big fire that caused economic losses of over 100 million yuan ($16.5 million).

No casualties were reported and the inn's owner is under police control, said authorities.

A total of 242 houses were destroyed and 43 other buildings were dismantled to prevent the fire's spread. The fire also damaged some cultural relics and Tibetan art pieces.

Dukezong, where the fire broke out, is a 1,300-year-old town and known for its well-preserved ancient Tibetan architecture.

Global Times

Posted in: Society

blog comments powered by Disqus