SOURCE / COMPANIES
US government’s assault on Huawei, other tech firms, is a move to back up its hegemony: FM
Published: May 13, 2021 06:13 PM
Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei File Photo:IC

Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei File Photo:IC



China has urged the US government to correct its behavior and end the unreasonable suppression on Chinese companies and treat them fairly, Hua Chunying, a spokesperson of China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday.

The remarks came after media reported that President Joe Biden had extended a 2019 executive order issued by former President Donald Trump that bars US companies from using telecommunications equipment made by Chinese firms on national security grounds, including from Huawei, according to bloomberglaw.com.

The US continues to discredit Huawei and other Chinese telecom companies, but so far there is no real evidence to prove that they pose a security threat to the US and other nations, Hua said.

The so-called "national security" is nothing but a pretense to back up US hegemony, Hua added. 

The US government's political concept of national security, its abuse of national power, and irrational measures taken to suppress Chinese companies run counter to the market economy and fair competition principles that the US has always advertised, Hua noted. 

The US move damages the legitimate interests of the companies of both sides, seriously disrupts the normal technological and trade exchanges between the two countries, and will damage the global supply chain, Hua said.

Chinese tech company Huawei reported a sizable drop in revenue but a jump in net profit in the first quarter this year, mirroring a faltering smartphone business caused by the US trade blockade, while a robust growth in business targeting enterprise clients that have cushioned against its revenue losses.

Analysts said the first-quarter financial report reflected that Huawei has managed to "survive" the US government crackdown and its corporate liquidity has remained stable.


blog comments powered by Disqus