CHINA / DIPLOMACY
US owes explanation on cyberattacks at Fort Detrick lab probe petition, its hypocrisy, double standards exposed: FM
Published: Jul 26, 2021 05:17 PM
Zhao Lijian

Zhao Lijian

Head: US owes explanation on cyberattacks at Fort Detrick lab probe petition, its hypocrisy, double standards exposed: FM

The US owes Chinese netizens explanations on why it remains silent on opening Fort Detrick lab for investigation and why it launched cyberattacks on an online petition demanding that the World Health Organization (WHO) investigate the lab, said spokesperson from China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

When asked to respond to the cyberattacks on the petition, which has gathered 13 million signatures so far, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said that he gave huge thumbs up for the petition.  

The petition was launched on July 17 as a response from Chinese netizens to US' politicization of the COVID-19 origins investigation. The petition asked the WHO to investigate the Fort Detrick.

"The US should offer a responsible explanation on all the suspicion surrounding the biological laboratory at Fort Detrick. Why is it still playing dumb when over 13 million Chinese netizens have called for justice? Why did it keep obfuscating and stonewalling on this issue? Where is the transparency it claims now?" Zhao asked.  

The US should offer a responsible explanation on the cyberattacks on the endorsement server originating from US soil. About a week ago, the US together with its allies accused China of launching cyberattacks against Western countries. But the attacks on the endorsement server once again revealed the hypocrisy and double standard of the US on cybersecurity and lay bare that the US is a threat to cybersecurity, according to Zhao. 

The spokesperson emphasized that if the US really wants to support cybersecurity and freedom of speech, it should join hands with other countries  instead of condoning hacking activities at home while slinging mud at others.  

The online petition demanding that the WHO investigate the Fort Detrick lab launched on July 17 has garnered 13 million signatures among Chinese netizens as of press time. Chinese observers said the strong appeal shows that Chinese people will not stop questioning the American lab until the US gives a reasonable explanation. The petition was attacked by multiple US IP addresses Saturday night as the number of signatures approached 10 million.

Global Times




blog comments powered by Disqus